Renwick, a village and a parish in Cumberland. The village stands under Thackmoor Fell, 3 miles NE of Kirk-oswald, and 3½ from Lazonby station on the M.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Kirkoswald. The parish comprises 4299 acres; population, 242. The manor belongs to Queen's College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £191 with residence. The church is good, and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a reading-room, and a library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Renwick All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Renwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Renwick (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Renwick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.