Hanmer, a village, a township, and a parish in Flintshire. The village stands near the boundary with Salop, 3 miles N of Bettisfield station on the Cambrian railway, and 5 NE of EUesmere, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Whitchurch. The township comprises 2303 acres; population, 439. The parish contains also the townships of Bettisfield, Bronington, Halghton, Tybroughton, and Willington. Acreage, 14, 808; population of the civil parish, 2317; of the ecclesiastical, 1298. Bettisfield Park is the ancient seat of the Hanmer family, and Gred-ington Hall is a seat of Lord Renyon. Hanmer Mere covers about 73 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £275. The church is of the time of Henry VII., had magnificent carved oak ceilings, and contained monuments of Speaker Hanmer and Lord Chief-Justice Renyon and of others of these families. The monuments were destroyed by fire in 1889. The church has been rebuilt on the old lines, at a cost of £7000. There is a peal of six bells.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Ellesmere||1837 - 1935|
|Registration district||Overton||1935 - 1953|
|Registration district||Maelor||1954 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: