Bodfar, Bodfary, or Bodvari, a village in Flintshire, and a parish partly in that county and partly in Denbighshire. The village stands near the confluence of the rivers Clwyd and Wheeler, 4 miles NE of Denbigh; it has a station on the L. & N.W.R. and a post-office under Trefnant (R.S.O.), which is the money order and telegraph office, and is a good fishing-station. It lies on the Roman road from Chester to Caerhun, and has yielded numerous Roman coins, urns, and other relics. An ancient camp, supposed to be British, and called Moel-y-gaer, is on a neighbouring hill. The parish includes also the township of Aberwheeler. Acreage, 1494; population of the civil parish, 427; of the ecclesiastical, 818. The scenery of vale and hill is fine. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £222 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church stands on a rising ground, and has a good tower and a carved oak pulpit. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||St. Asaph||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: