Preston Quarter, Cumberland
Preston Quarter, a township in St Bees parish, Cumberland, on the coast, extending northward from St Bees to. Whitehaven. It includes part of the town of Whitehaven, the villages of St Bees and Hensingham, and the hamlet of Harras Moor. Acreage, 3152 of land and 265 of water and foreshore; population, 7551. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of the manor and principal landowner. There are extensive; collieries.
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Whitehaven|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Preston Quarter from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Preston-Quarter)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.