Bagillt, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Holywell parish, Flintshire. The village stands on the S side of the estuary ofthe Dec, contiguous to the L. & N.W.R., 2 miles NW of Flint, and 2 SE of Holywell. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Holywell, and is a sub-port to Chester. The tract around it is rich in minerals, and yields a great output of coals, and the village itself is the seat or centre of extensive lead-smelting and desilverizing works. One of the adjacent hills bears the name of Bryn-Dychwelwch, signifying " the hill of retreat," and was the place at which Owen Gwynedd sounded his retreat from the pursuit by Henry II. Bagillt Hall, in the vicinity, is an old seat of the Griffiths. The township bears the name of Bagillt-Fawr, and includes the liamlets of Bagillt-Bach and Bagillt-Fechan. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Population, 3168. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £166. Patron, the Vicar of Holywell. The church is in the Early English style, and was built in 1839. There are chapels for Congregationalists, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Calvinistic Methodists.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bagillt are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: