Wallasea, formerly an island, now a peninsula in Rochford union, Essex, 5½ miles ENE of Rochford. It is bounded on the N by the river Crouch, on other sides by narrow belts of water; communicates with the mainland by a causeway; measures 3½ miles in length and 1¾ mile in breadth; consists chiefly of fertile marsh; and is divided among the parishes of Canewdon, Eastwood, Paglesham, Great Stambridge, and Little Wakering. It has a good supply of water derived from some deep artesian wells.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Rochford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wallasea from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wallasea, Isle Of)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.