Plumbland, a village and a parish in Cumberland. The village stands 2 miles S by W of Aspatria station on the Maryport and Carlisle railway, and 6 N by E of Cockermouth. Post town, Arkleby; money order and telegraph office, Aspatria. The parish comprises 2568 acres; population, 670. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Limestone and coal are found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £250 with residence. The church was entirely rebuilt in 1870, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and western tower. There is a free grammar school, endowed with £75 a year, also a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Plumbland St. Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||Cockermouth|
|Ward||Allerdale below Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Plumbland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Plumbland (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Plumbland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cArkleby
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.