Shortgrove, a seat in Newport parish, Essex, 2½ miles SSW of Saffron Walden. It is a fine mansion of red brick, in the Queen Anne style, with an attached deer-park of about 400 acres in extent. It belonged formerly to the Earls of Thomond, and belongs now to the Smith family.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Shortgrove are available from a number of sites: