Papcastle, a village and a township in Bridekirk parish, Cumberland. The village stands on the river Derwent, 1 mile NW of Cockermouth, occupies the site of Roman Der-ventium, contained the seat of the Lords of Allerdale prior to the erection of their castle at Cockermouth, and now has a station on the Maryport and Carlisle railway, a bridge over the Derwent, and a post office under Cockermouth; money order and telegraph office, Cockermouth. There is a water-pumping station and reservoir for Maryport, and flax, thread, linen, and flour mills. Many Roman relics, including coins, urns, inscribed stones, and parts of baths and other buildings have been found, and traces of the Roman station are adjacent. The township contains also the hamlet of Goat, and comprises 1218 acres of land and 22 of water; population, 633. There is a parish council consisting of eight members.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Cockermouth|
|Ward||Allerdale below Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Papcastle from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Papcastle, with Goat)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Papcastle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)