Greenstead Green, Essex
Greenstead Green, a chapelry in Halstead parish, Essex, 2 miles S from Halstead town and railway station. It was constituted in 1845, and has a post office under Halstead; money order and telegraph omce, Halstead. Population, 550. Greenstead Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value,, £183 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church was built in 1845, and has a tower and spire.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Greenstead Green are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: