East Thurrock, Essex
Thurrock, Little or East, a parish in Essex, 1 mile E of Grays station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway. It has a post and money order office under Grays; telegraph office, Grays. Acreage, 1322; population, 849. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. There are chalk pits and several remarkable chalk caves known as "Cunobelin's Gold Mines" or Daneholes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £329 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church is a small building of flint and stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and a western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: