Nichol Forest, Cumberland
Nichol Forest, a township-chapelry in Kirkandrews-upon-Esk parish, Cumberland, on Kershope Burn and the river Liddel, and on the North British railway, adjacent to Scotland, around Penton railway station, 7 miles NE by N of Long-town. Post town, Penton, under Carlisle. Acreage, 8433 of land and 64 of water; population, 547. The surface is hilly. The streams Kershope and Liddel here form several cascades. A medicinal spring, called Hertfeel Spa, rises from the bed of the Liddel. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £167 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Kirkandrews-upon-Esk. The church was rebuilt in 1867, and is in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, N transept, S porch, and bell-turret, and has several stained windows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirk Andrews upon Esk|
|Poor Law union||Longtown|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nichol Forest from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Nichol-Forest)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.