Church Gate, Essex
Church-Gate, a place 4½ miles NW of Epping, in Essex. Church Gresley, a township and a parish in Derbyshire. The township lies around Gresley station on the M.R., 5 miles SE of Burton-upon-Trent, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Area of township, 1240 acres; population, 6309. The parish includes the townships of Drakelow and Castle Gresley. Population, 7325; of the ecclesiastical parish, 7653. The manufacture of pottery, fire-bricks, and encaustic tiles carried on in this parish is of considerable importance. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £252 with residence, in the gift of Simeon's trustees. The church is of mixed styles, and was restored in 1872. It possesses some very interesting and ancient monuments to the Gresby family, and also a Norman arch. The church itself was at one time an ancient priory. The tower dates from the 16th century. Another church (Christ Church) is at Linton, 1 mile distant. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, and a cemetery.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: