Bures St Mary, Essex
Bures-St-Mary, a parish in the counties of Essex and Suffolk, on the river Stour, with a station on the G.E.R., 5 miles SSE of Sudbury. It contains the hamlet of Bures. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Acreage, 2574; population of the civil parish, 906; of the ecclesiastical, 1404. Edmund, king of East Anglia, was crowned here. The site of his coronation is known as St Edmund's Hill on the Sudbury Road. The living is a vicarage, united with Bures Hamlet, in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £260 with residence. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1865; the chancel was internally restored and beautified in 1891. Malting and brickmaking are carried on, and there is also a lanyard.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: