Bures Mount, Essex
Bures-Mount, a parish in Essex, on the river Stour, 1 mile S from Bures station on the G.E.R., and 6 miles S by E of Sudbury. Post town, Colchester; money order and telegraph office, Bures-St-Mary. Acreage, 1293; population of the civil parish, 252; of the ecclesiastical, 246. An ancient artificial mound here, about 80 feet high, and of unknown origin, has a base of nearly 1½ acre. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £270 with residence. The church is an ancient structure of brick and stone in the Norman style. It was restored in 1875. There is also a Baptist chapel. By a Local Government Order issued in 1884, certain detached parts of Bures in the Sudhury union were united with this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mount Bures St. John|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bures Mount from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bures, Mount (St. John))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: