Newton Regny or Newton Reigny, Cumberland
Newton Regny or Newton Reigny, a village, a township, and a parish in Cumberland. The village stands adjacent to the Penrith and Cockermouth railway, 1½ mile E of Blencow railway station, and 3 miles NW of Penrith, and has a post office under Penrith; money order and telegraph office, Penrith. The township includes the village and extends into the country. Acreage, 1013; population, 153. The parish contains also the township of Catterlen, and comprises 2574 acres; population, 257. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £115 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is ancient, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles (each with chantry), and a bell-turret. The chancel was rebuilt in 1876, and the church was completely restored in 1892, when a new pulpit and choir stalls were erected.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newton Regny or Newton Reigny from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Newton-Rigny)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Villages, Hamlets, &cCatterlin
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.