Wynyard Park, Durham
Wynyard Park, the seat of the Marquis of Londonderry in Grindon parish, Durham, 2 miles from Wynyard station on the N.E.R.,and 5 NNW of Stockton-upon-Tees. The mansion, standing in a park of about 2500 acres, was founded in 18-22 by the Marquis of Londonderry; went on toward completion till 1841, when it was destroyed by fire, with an estimated loss of £150,000; was immediately afterwards begun to be reconstructed; and is a magnificent edifice in The Grecian style, with a grand Corinthian portico, and with a statue gallery 120 feet long, 80 wide, and 60 high. There is also a fine chapel, built in 1880 at a cost of £5000. An obelisk, nearly 130 feet, standing on the highest ground in the park, commemorates a visit of the Duke of Wellington in 1827. A reading-room was erected in 1892 by the Marquis of Londonderry, for the use of tenants and workpeople on the estate.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Wynyard Park are available from a number of sites: