Thorpe Thewles, Durham
Thorpe Thewles, a village in Grindon parish, Durham, with a station on a branch of the N.E.R., 4½ miles NW of Stockton-upon-Tees. Post town, Ferry Hill; money order and telegraph office, Stockton. The parish church of St James is in this village. It was erected in 1886, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and western tower with spire.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Thorpe Thewles are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: