Sunderland Bridge, Durham
Sunderland Bridge, a township in Croxdale ecclesiastical parish, St Oswald parish, Durham, on the river Wear 3½ miles S of Durham, and about 1 mile from Groxdale station on the N.E.R. It has a post office under Durham; money order office, Croxdale Colliery; telegraph office, Tnd-hoe Colliery. Acreage, 1442, including 30 of water; population, 1359. The parish church of St Bartholomew is in this township. It is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, S aisle, and tower with spire. There are collieries in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Auckland St Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Durham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sunderland Bridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sunderland-Bridge)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Sunderland Bridge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: