South Hetton, Durham
Hetton, South, a colliery village and an ecclesiastical district in Easington parish, Durham, on the Sunderland and Hartlepool railway, 3½ miles SW of Seabarn Harbour. There is a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Sunderland. The ecclesiastical district was constituted in 1863. Population, 2476. Coal is extensively worked in the neighbourhood, employing a great many hands. The living is a district chapelry in the diocese of Durham; net value, £460 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels in the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Easington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Hetton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hetton, South)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of South Hetton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: