Shiney Row, Durham
Shiney Row, a village in Houghton-le-Spring parish, Durham, a quarter of a mile from Penshaw station on the N.E.R., and 2 miles NW of Houghton. It is inhabited chiefly by coal-miners, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Fence Houses. There are Wesleyan, Wesleyan Reform, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Shiney Row are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: