Sacriston, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Durham. The village stands 1½ mile NNE of Witton Gilbert railway station, and 3½ miles NW of Durham, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Durham. The ecclesiastical parish comprises the township of Edmondsley, and was constituted in 1864. Population, 5327. Many of the inhabitants are employed in collieries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1866, and is in the Early English style; a N aisle and a vestry were added in 1892. There are also Roman Catholic, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, and a literary institute, established in 1884 by the colliery owners mainly for the use of colliers.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Sacriston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: