Rainton, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Houghton-le-Spring parish, Durham, comprising West Rainton, Middle Rainton, and Leamside. The village of West Rainton stands three-quarters of a mile NE of Leamside railway station, and 4½ miles NE by N of Durham, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Fence Houses. The township comprises 1776 acres; population, 2793. The manor belonged once to a convent at Durham, and belongs now to the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The ecclesiastical parish is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1838 and reconstructed in 1866. Population, 3597. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £356. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church, rebuilt in 1864 in the Middle Pointed style, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and a tower with spire. There are a library, with reading and news room, and a drill hall.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: