Pallion, an ecclesiastical parish in Bishop Wearmouth parish, Durham, with a station on the Sunderland and Durham railway, 2 miles WNW of Sunderland. It has a post and money order office (T.S.O.) under Sunderland; telegraph office, Sunderland. It was constituted in 1868. Population, 8446. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £312. Patron, the Bishop. The church was erected in 1873, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, and tower with spire.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Pallion are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: