UK Genealogy Archives logo

Pallion, Durham

Historical Description

Pallion, an ecclesiastical parish in Bishop Wearmouth parish, Durham, with a station on the Sunderland and Durham railway, 2 miles WNW of Sunderland. It has a post and money order office (T.S.O.) under Sunderland; telegraph office, Sunderland. It was constituted in 1868. Population, 8446. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £312. Patron, the Bishop. The church was erected in 1873, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, and tower with spire.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Pallion are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

DistrictSunderland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtSR4
Post TownSunderland