New Shildon, Durham
Shildon, New, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in, Durham, near Shildon station on the N.E.R. The village has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1869. Population, 4014. For parish council purposes it forms part of the district of Shildon and Middridge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £290 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church was built in 1868 in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, and western tower with spire. There are also a mission-room, Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, and meeting-houses for the Friends and the Plymouth Brethren. There is also a mechanics' institute, and the N.E.R. have extensive engine and railway waggon works.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: