Nether Denton, Cumberland
Denton, Nether, a village, a township, and a parish in Cumberland, on the Roman wall, 5 miles NE by E of Bramp-ton, and 2 from Gilsland station on the N.E.R. Post town, Low Row, under Carlisle. Acreage, 4984; population, 354. The rocks include limestone and building-stone. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £265 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Nether Denton St. Cuthbert|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nether Denton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Denton, Nether (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Villages, Hamlets, &cLow Row
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.