Maiden Castle, Durham
Maiden Castle, an ancient fortification in Durham, on a cliff 100 feet high above the river Wear, 2 miles E of Durham. It has an oblong form about 5OO feet in length, is single ditched, has works which have been pronounced partly Roman and partly Saxon, is now partly covered with wood, and commands a fine view.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Maiden Castle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: