Naworth, a place in Brampton parish, Cumberland, near the river Irthing and the Roman wall, 2½ miles ENE of Brampton. It has a station on the N.E.R. Post town, Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Brampton. Naworth Castle was built in the 13th century by Ranulph Dacre; continued in the possession of the Dacres till 1569; passed then by marriage to Lord William Howard, the 'l Belted Will" of traditional lore, son of the fourth Duke of Norfolk, " the pacifier of the Borderers " and scholar and friend of Camden, in the time of Elizabeth and James I., and belongs now to his descendant the Earl of Carlisle. It stands on the edge of a platform nearly insulated by a deep gulley; was originally designed for protection against raids from the Scottish Border; was much enlarged and strengthened about 1316; underwent further improvement by Lord William Howard; was severely injured by fire in 1844; has been carefully restored, with retention of its ancient features, which consist chiefly of two large square towers with intervening buildings and an interior quadrangular court; a great hall with walls 7½ feet thick, and the private apartments of Lord William Howard. Before the fire there was a con-cpaled passage from his oratory to a grated aperture at the top of dungeons, and these dungeons themselves still exist with their old appliances of imprisonment. There are some curious old paintings, pieces of tapestry, and suits of armour. An ancient earthwork, probably British, with two encircling ramparts, is S of the castle and near the railway. In 1881 a new block of buildings at the back of the courtyard was added to the castle as bedrooms.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Brampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Naworth from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.