Ludwell, a hamlet in the SW border of Wilts, 3½ miles E by S of Shaftesbury. It has a post office under Salisbury, Ludworth, a colliery village in Shadforth township and an ecclesiastical parish in Durham, 1½ mile from Haswell station on the N.E.R., and 5½ miles ESE of Durham city. It has a post and money order office under Durham; telegraph office, Thornley. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1876, a small Wesleyan chapel, a reading-room and institute, and a police station. Ludworth Tower was built in 1422 by Sir T. Holden, and is falling into ruins.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Ludwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: