Lonton, a hamlet in Holwick township, Romald Kirk parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Tees, at the boundary with Durham, 8½ miles NW of Barnard Castle. A handsome bridge spans the Tees.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Lonton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: