Hunstonworth, a village and a parish in Durham, on the river Derwent, at the boundary with Northumberland, 8 miles NNW of Stanhope railway station. Post town, Biding Mill, Northumberland; money order and telegraph office, Blanch-land. Acreage, 8042; population, 271. The manor belonged to Robert Corbert, was given by him to Kepier Hospital, and passed, through several hands, to the Joiceys. A considerable tract is held by the trustees of the late Bishop Lord Crewe, and was left by him for charitable purposes. Much of the land is moor and mountain. Lead ore was extensively mined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £300 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1865 at a cost of £2500, and is in the Early English style. An arched vault, 45 feet long and 25 wide, probably used as a store for goods and cattle in the time of the Border raids, was until 1893 in the churchyard. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel erected in 1877.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Weardale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hunstonworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hunstonworth, or Hunstanworth)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: