Heatherycleugh, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Stanhope parish, Durham. The village stands near the river Wear, and in the northern vicinity of Stanhope town and railway station, and is inhabited chiefly by lead and ironstone miners. Post and money order office, Cow's Hill, under Darlington; telegraph office, St John's Chapel The ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1866, comprises the hamlets of Lane Head, Cow's Hill, Wear Head, Burnhope, Wellhope, and Rillhope. Population, 1139. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £425. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church was built in 1824.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Weardale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Heatherycleugh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Heatherycleugh)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: