Eighton Banks, Durham
Eighton Banks, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Durham, constituted in 1863. Post town, and money order and telegraph office, Gateshead. Population, 2723. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £300 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Durham. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel, a mechanics' institute, with reading room and library in connection with it, also a parish reading room and library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Chester le Street|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Eighton Banks from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Eighton-Banks or Ayton-Banks)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Eighton Banks are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: