Eastgate, an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1885 from that of Stanhope, in Durham, on the river Wear, 3 miles W of Stanhope town and railway station. It has a post office under Darlington; money order and telegraph office, Stanhope. Population, 337. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; value, £400, in the gift of the Bishop of Ripon. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Weardale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Eastgate from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Eastgate are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: