UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Dipton, Durham

Historical Description

Dipton, an ecclesiastical district, comprising most of the township of Collierley, formed from the ecclesiastical parish of Collierley in 1884, and in the ancient parish of Lanchester, Durham, 9 miles SW of Gateshead. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Lintz Green (R.S.O.) Population, 3387. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £300, in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop alternately. The church, dedicated to St John the Evangelist, and consecrated together with the adjoining burial ground in 1886, is a building in the Early English style. There are several collieries in the neighbourhood.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Dipton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyCounty Durham
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtDH9
Post TownStanley

Advertisement

Advertisement