Croxdale, a village and an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1843 from the parishes of St Oswald and Merrington, Durham, on the river Wear and the Weardale railway, with a station on the N.E.R., 3 miles S of Durham. The parish contains the townships of Sunderland-Bridge and Hett, and has a post and money order office of the name of Croxdale Colliery under Durham; telegraph office, Tudhoe Colliery. Population, 1716. Croxdale Hall is the seat of the Salvin family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; net value, £300 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is good, and there are Primitive Methodist and Roman Catholic chapels. There is an ancient chapel, now a mortuary chapel, belonging to the Salvin family. It possesses interesting features of Norman, Early English, and Curvilinear periods.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Durham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Croxdale from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Croxdale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: