Mungrisdale, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical district in Greystoke and Caldbeck parishes, Cumberland, on the Glenderamakin river, between Bowscale Fell and Eycott Hill, 3½ miles NW by N of Troutbeck railway station, and 5¼ S of Hesket Newmarket. Post town, Penrith; money order office, Greystoke; telegraph office, Troutbeck (R.S.) Acreage of township, 6576 of land and 17 of water; population, 173. The manor belongs to the Howard family. Part of the surface is mountain vale, and much is moor and high upland. The ecclesiastical district also comprises the townships of Murrah, Bowscale, Mosedale, Swinside, Gillsrow, and Red Sike, and was constituted in 1862. Population, 324. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Greystoke. The church is old, and has a bell gable. There is a school with an endowment of £45 per annum.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mungrisdale from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Mungrisdale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)