Collierley, a township and a chapelry in Lanchester parish, Durham. The township lies on an affluent of the river Derwent, 3 miles from Lintz Green station on the Consett branch of the N.E.R. The chapelry includes a small part of the township of Collierley, and a large part of the township of Keyo, with the village of Annfield Plain. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office at Annfield Plain. Acreage of township, 1615; population, 4940; of ecclesiastical district, 5252. The chapelry was consituted in 1842, and is more extensive than the township. Coal is worked. The surface rises at Pontop Pike to the altitude of 1018 feet. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is good. There are Wesleyan and Free and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Lanchester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Collierley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Collierley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: