Castleside, a small village, forming with Healeyfield township and Rowley hamlet an ecclesiastical parish in Durham, 3 miles SSW of Shotley-Bridge. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1864. It has a post and money order office under Blackhill (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Consett. Population, 947. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £300, alternately in the gift of the Crown and Bishop of Durham. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Castleside are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: