Butterby, a locality on the river Wear, in Sunderland Bridge township, Croxdale parish, 3 miles S by E of Durham. It was formerly called Beantrove, and belonged then to the Lumleys and the Chaytors. It has salt and sulphur springs. Shincliff, 1 mile distant, is the railway station.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: