Bensham, an ecclesiastical parish and suburb of Gateshead parish, Durham, 1½ mile SSW of Gateshead. The parish was constituted in 1865, and has a railway station. Population, 9642. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church was built in 1848. There are two mission rooms.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Bensham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: