UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Beamish, Durham

Historical Description

Beamish, an ecclesiastical parish formed out of part of the townsllip of Beamish, taken from Tanfield parish, and part of the township of Kyo, taken out of Cotherley parish, both in Durham. It is bounded on the S by the Stanley Burn, and on the N by the Houghall Burn. It is cut by the Stanhope and Tyne railway, and is about 7 miles SW of (iateshead. Population, 6346. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £316 with residence, alternately in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Durham. There are two Wesleyan chapels, one Primitive Methodist, one new Connexion, a Salvation Army Barracks, and a Roman Catholic chapel. Beamish Hall, the scat of the Eden family, is one of the finest mansions in the county.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Civil parishChester le Street 
Poor Law unionLanchester 
WardChester 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Beamish from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Beamish are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyCounty Durham
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtDH9
Post TownStanley

Advertisement

Advertisement