Millom, a market town and a parish in Cumberland. The town stands on the W side of the Duddon estuary, near the Whitehaven and Furness railway, 2½ miles from the sea, 6 SSW of Broughton-in-Furness, and 30 SE of Whitehaven, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) It owes its rise to the development of the iron industry. The parish comprises Haverigg, Holborn Hill, Kirksanton, The Green, and The Hill. Acreage, 12,817, and 6352 of tidal water and foreshore; population, 10,512. It is governed by a local board, first formed in 1875, to whom the gas and water works belong. The manor belonged formerly to the Boyvills and the Haddlestones, and belongs sow to the Earl of Lonsdale. Millom Castle was built in 1335 by Sir John Huddlestone, became a farmhouse, and is now only represented by a tower. Part of the land is hilly, and much is picturesque. There are several saline springs. Haematite iron ore, very rich in quality, is raised in large quantities by two companies who employ nearly 2000 hands. Two newspapers are published, one weekly and one twice a week. The chief buildings are the market-hall and local board offices, erected in 1879, a central hall, a county hall, co-operative buildings consisting of several shops and a large hall above, erected in 1888, and a drill-hall. The Free Public Library, Science, Art, and Technical School, originally built for a working-men's institute, was purchased in 1891 by the local board, and has since been enlarged. There are also county police and volunteer fire brigade stations. The parish has been divided for ecclesiastical purposes into the parishes of Holy Trinity and St George. The living of Holy Trinity is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £188 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church is an ancient building in the Early Norman and Decorated styles, con-fcisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, and a bell-gable, and 27contains a beautiful ancient alabaster tomb, and several brasses and monuments to the Huddlestones and others. The churchyard contains a well-preserved ancient cross. Population of ecclesiastical parish of Holy Trinity, 2865. The ecclesiastical parish of St George was constituted in 1879. Population, 7322. The living is a vicarage, with Haverigg annexed, in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £340 with residence. The church was erected in 1874-77, is in the Gothic style, and consists of chance], nave, north aible and porch, and an embattled tower with spire. There are Baptist, Bible Christian, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan, and Roman Catholic chapels. The church at Haverigg was erected in 1891; there are also a Bible Christian chapel erected in 1873, and one for Primitive Methodists built in 1877.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Millom Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Bootle|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Millom from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Millom (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Millom are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cBirker and Austhwaite
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.