UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hambledon Hill, Dorset

Historical Description

Hambledon Hill or Hamilton Hill, an eminence in Dorsetshire, on the left side of the river Stour, 5 miles NW by N of Blandford Forum. It outlies the chalk, has a bold outline, and is crowned by an extensive fortification with two ramparts and ditches, strengthened on different points by advanced works. Roman coins have been found.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDorsetshire 
DioceseSalisbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Hambledon Hill are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.

CountyDorset