Middlesceugh and Braithwaite, Cumberland
Middlesceugh and Braithwaite, a township in St Mary-Carlisle parish, Cumberland, on a branch of the river Caldew, 10 miles S of Carlisle. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office at Braithwaite, under Keswick. Acreage,. 2092; population, 171. The living is annexed to the vicarage-of Thornthwaite, in the diocese of Carlisle; net joint value, £118 with residence. Patrons, the Vicars of Crosthwaite and St John, Keswick. There are a church and a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Middlesceugh and Braithwaite from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Middlesceugh)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.