Blackmoor Vale, Dorset
Blackmoor Vale, the valley of the Cale river, on the mutual border of Somersetshire and Dorsetshire, south-south-eastward from Wincanton toward Sturminster. It is flanked by hill ranges, often 4 miles asunder, and has a rich, tenacious, marshy soil, notable as pasture land, and for the vigorous growth of oaks. It was originally called White Hart Forest, from an incident in a hunt by Henry III.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.