Melmerby, a village and a parish in Cumberland. The village stands under the Crossfell range of mountains, 3½ miles NE of Langwathby, and 9 NE of Penrith station on the L. & N.W.R. It was formerly a market-town, and has a post office under Langwathby; money order and telegraph office, Langwathby. The parish comprises 5362 acres; population, 191. Melmerby Hall is an ancient and chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £250 with residence. The church is a red freestone edifice, with a tower, was restored in 1849, and contains several ancient monuments. There is an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Melmerby St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Melmerby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Melmerby (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Melmerby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.