Torwood, a chapelry chiefly in Tor Moham parish, and partly in St Marychurch parish, Devonshire, 2 miles N by E of Torquay station on the G.W.R. It was constituted in 1857, and its post town is Torquay. Population of the ecclesiastical district, 2419. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £430 with residence. Patron, Lord Haldon. The church was erected in 1857, and is a cruciform building of stone in the Early English style; it was thoroughly restored in 1885.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.