UK Genealogy Archives logo

Tor Bay, Devon

Historical Description

Tor Bay, a bay in the SE of Devonshire, extending from Hope Nose on the N to Berry Head on the S. It measures 4½ miles across the entrance, and 3½ to the head, makes a nearly semicircular sweep into the land, was the landing-place of the Prince of Orange on 5 Nov. 1688, was a common resort and anchoring ground of the Channel fleet under Lord St Vincent, and was pronounced by Bonaparte, when brought to it in the Bellerophon in 1815, to resemble Port Ferrajo in Elba. See TORQUAY.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Maps

Online maps of Tor Bay are available from a number of sites:

CountyTorbay