Tipton, a chapelry in Ottery St Mary parish, Devonshire, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 165 miles from London. It has a post and money order office under Ottery St Mary; telegraph office, Ottery St Mary. It was constituted in 1841. Population, 391. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £260 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Ottery. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tipton St. Martin|
|Poor Law union||Dudley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tipton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tipton (St. Martin))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.